Monday, October 19, 2015

Trove, my Progress & Thoughts


For those of you who are unaware, Trove is a 3D Voxel RPG. Essentially, it's kinda like minecraft with RPG elements with a focus on killing monsters and getting loot.

Understand that some of you may believe that the game looks gay and kiddy. I really don't blame you, I initially thought so too as well. I was looking for time to kill and thought this was something that would be a 'casual past-time'. Was I casual in the end? Nope of course not rofl.

Gonna dedicate a post to the game and share my experiences.

My Time in the Game:

Literally

I started off as a Candy Barbarian and got him to level 20. The leveling experience was generally quite enjoyable as the different worlds that you're exploring looks crisp and generally quite well made for the genre.

On top of that, gearing up and unlocking stuff was also quite pleasant. The concept may seem like those typical run-of-the mill RPGS at first, but I could feel that the emphasis  of the game was actually more on character progression and how you played it, instead of pure levels and gear power alone.

and then...

I essentially got all 12 classes up to the lvl cap, 20 (lol). It did take awhile, but it was nice to check out the different skills of each class and how they are able to contribute to groups/dungeon parties differently.

Then the grind started... The game had a mechanic called 'Mastery levels' which had a cap of 200. Every time you level up your mastery, you were able to gain passive bonuses or unlock specific stuff such as wings/mounts/costumes and the likes. Leveling up mastery was the longest and most tiring journey of me playing the game. I was only able to get to rank 176 before calling it quits.


 Shadow Towers

My most recent and notable experiences from the game usually included boss battles in the Shadow Towers (recently released). Hard mode bosses are generally challenging and would require a competent group to clear. DOTM hard mode was like a 30-45min fight non-stop.

Spike Walker - Hard Mode

Daughter of the Moon

The shadow towers are definitely one of the more fun and challenging aspects of the game as far as end-game content goes.

Fun fact: Before Shadow Towers were released, all the community had to work with were Shadow Arenas which were pretty easy to clear with a geared group.

Cornerstone

A cornerstone is essentially an instance hub that you can spawn at specific locations in a map. In your cornerstone, you can access whatever tools that you have built in it, or simply ogle at how aesthetic some people built theirs.

Here's mine:

Day Time

Night Time

Level 1 (Interior) - General Stuff

Level 2 (Interior) - Portals

Level 3 (Interior) - 'My Room'

Level 4 (Interior) - Bar/Kitchen

Level 5 (Interior) - Trophy Room

The whole cornerstone took me a good lot of hours but I'd say it's a satisfying experience when it was finally up.

I did not come up with the original exterior design on my own though as I'm lacking that kind of artistic flair. I saw it somewhere on the official trove forums and decided to replicate it. The interiors were all done up by me.


Club World

Club Worlds are simply speaking, the 'guilds' in the game. 

It is an open space area of the 'guild' where members all build the whole place on their own. This shit can take a hell lot of time if you were making something major.

I've been apart of a few clubs that have huge castles and cool looking underground dungeons, however I've managed to make a simple one on my own that has all the necessities that I'll need for the game. It's something at least.

My Club World's main area

My Club World's Fishing Area + Fishing Trophies

I know that it may look unimpressive at first, but what I actually had to do was to flatten the whole area which took a freaking long time as you had to remove and add the blocks in 1 by 1. 

After which, you had to procure the mats to build all the necessary stuff you wanted. I'm happy with what I've got but then again, for those people with super fanciful and HUGE club worlds, I really question how bored they must've been.


Unlocks/Masteries/Gears

List of my Unlocks

Remember me talking about mastery levels? Everything you unlock (mounts/wings/styles/costumes/flasks...) gives you points which contributes to your overall mastery level. 

The list above shows my progress thus far.

Mastery Level

Candy Barbarian Gear

I've managed to farm full radiants (highest tier gear), fully pearled and fully upgraded on my candy barb. 

On my other toons , I usually have them all fully equipped with shadow lvl 2-5 items. 



All in all, my experience with the game was good and I've had lots of fun in an other-wise unique looking game.

Jayexa - 'See ya!'

If you'd like to check out Trove or find out more about the game, you can visit their official website:

Alternatively, you can just download and jump right into the game on steam. It's free anyway, what's there to lose?

1 comment: