Monday, June 29, 2015

Sundown Marathon 2015


 Started training for this about 2 months prior to the actual event itself, progressively increasing the duration and mileage of my runs.

Stopped lifting entirely during this period as well as it would be counterproductive, trying to build mass and yet go through so much endurance training at the same time was simply a 1 way ticket to achieving results nowhere.

Did lose some size and muscle as a result, but no matter as such is the process of marathon training.

Not really gonna race anyone or rush for some kind of 'timing', my only aim is to complete it without getting DQ-ed (<8hours I believe). It's more for personal satisfaction. Experience at the previous SCM was pretty painful, hopefully this time I will fare a lot better as I've been training substantially more for this run.

There was also an element of 'unfinished business' as I did not run the full marathon back during the SCMS 2014. Hence, completing this marathon would prove to be a significant milestone for me.

Race Pack Collection (26/6/15)

Entrance

The collection was done at Suntec Convention Hall, it was the usual walk-in, register, collect race-tag and running singlet with bag + miscellaneous.

 Registration & Race Pack Collection Area

Surprisingly, there wasn't really a crowd when I was there, good for me I guess. 

You had to do a mandatory walk through a whole bunch of mobile shops/booths after. They were selling all kinds of stuff such as compression tights, shoes, socks, gels, energy bars etc. 

The prices for some of the stuff kinda felt like a rip-off. Regardless, I went ahead to buy 2 gels ($2.50 each) and 2 packets of jelly blocks ($5/pack) and a new running belt ($28) as the previous one that I was using didn't seem big enough to accommodate all the stuff that I was gonna bring.

Loot

Above are the main things that I got for the day. I'd probably bring along the stuff that I've displayed above to the actual run itself (minus the bag of course). Hopefully I did not under-stock on the 'carbs'.

Only thing to do now is to get into the mood for the actual day itself and make sure to get the right amount of rest, diet and sleep the few days before the big day.


Full Marathon Day (4/7/15)

Pre-run:

Arrived at the race site an hour earlier, this was about 12am (Actual flag off was around 1am)

Scouted the area a little before heading to the cluster-fucked start line to get my things ready and warmup. During the huge gathering, I somehow ended up in front and around the 5:30 pacers. I didn't think too much of it then as I simply wanted to be closer to the front.
After the flag off, people were apparently all chionging at the start (not surprised). Not sure if they're really fit, but I'd think that they are just over-hyped and are forgetting that it's a 42+km run. Those 'action' ones die off at ~5km lol.

0-15km: 

Didn't think that it'd affect me, but I was really pulled along by the 5:30 pack around the pacers, making me speed up my frequency a little, which kinda worried me but I simply did not want to slow-down too much that early as I did not want to be swallowed up by the pack behind.

Respect to those that can keep up with these people all the way though, I fell off from them at around the 15km mark.

15-21km:

The reason I dropped off at the 15km mark from the 5:30 pack was cause my calf was tightening. I could keep pushing, but from experience it is not a road that I'd like to go down as if I did so, I would not even be able to walk for the remaining parts of the run, which is still quite a distance.

No choice, had to start walking. I was walking fast though, deliberately making sure that I kept my strides wide and the frequency of my steps high as well. This eased up the tension on my calves by a lot.

I'd also like to add that this 'fast walking' was a really good thing that I've discovered. I was able to keep up with those people who are jogging at tortoise pace and overtook a lot of the people who have already started walking during this segment.

21-30km:

At 21km, I remember that my timing was exactly 3hours. I was still doing my 'fast walk' for this leg of the race.

I tell you, the long stretches of roads at east coast park where you can't see the end is really mind-fuckingly sian (You even do a U-turn and walk the same way back on these roads/paths).

I was pretty happy with my speed for this section as everything seemed to be going as planned. The timings for my intervals per km here was really on track at 10min/km. This really set me up for a 6hour+ timing finish which I could definitely live with, if I kept this pace up. Not to mention, I was walking still and I had the potential to be quicker if I ran after.

I also started to ration my 2 Gels and 8 Jelly blocks after around the 1:30 point, consuming 1 every 45 minutes till the end of the race to keep the carbs in my body up so that I don't actually 'hit the wall'. The amount I had was just nice for my whole run.

 30-38km:

This is really where you've got to start digging deep.

Luckily my calves were rested enough and I could start running again.

30km onwards, it's really a zombie march. 80% of the people around me were quietly walking. To be honest, I don't really have too much recollection of this interval as I tried to block out the pain by just keeping my mind blank and going full zombie mode lol.

38-42.195km:

This is the supreme hell hole for most of the runners. Your close to the finish line, but you'd most likely be out of gas at this point. Any attempts people made to run only lasted for a couple of minutes, before they started to walk again.

For some reason though, I was able to run this part and the pain wasn't so bad here. Maybe this is what they call 'second wind'? Idk. It was still taking a lot of effort to take mini running steps though and I looked rather retarded doing it but at this point, you really wouldn't care.

When the finish line was in sight, I was so happy I remembered smiling to myself. :) Crossing it felt very good, gave a 'nice' victory cheer too lol!

 Dat constipated face

Post Run:

After crossing the finish line, I collected my medal, finisher tee, some food and drinks.

 Finisher-Tee

Did a couple of warm-down stretches afterwards, but not like it was really going to be of much help anyway as my whole body was already so heavy and hurting.

Here's some of the damage done to me:
  • Blisters under both of my feet
  • Abrasions on my butt & armpit area
  • Very sore calves
  • Heavy thighs

Still proud of myself that I did not stop at all for the whole race, as I had this feeling that if I did, I would not be able to move at all already.

Clocked a timing of 6:33 according to my watch. This was a timing that I could definitely accept.

The official race timing put me at 6:32 anyway


Really though, whoever who runs marathons for 'fun' must be some kind of masochist imo. Especially those clocking <5 or <6 hour times. (Jk)

This run was organised a lot better than the 2014 Stan Chart one (which provided no food at all). They had hydration points with water, 100plus, bananas and some of them even gave out Gels & Coke!

Also, I'd really want to give a huge shout-out to all the volunteers. You guys are simply amazing, in terms of giving the runners encouragement and nourishment. Lots of appreciation goes out to all of you.

Despite the pain, it was a good personal experience and achievement. Definitely an event that would mark itself as one of the mile-stones in my life. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment