Monday, August 27, 2018

Journey to Trolltunga

Background info 

Trolltunga or troll's tongue, is a rock formation situated approximately 1,100m above sea level within the mountainous regions of Odda.

This was my second time visiting Norway, as Jun-Aug was the right and safest period to do the hike. The previous time I was there, I was further up north in Tromso during the winter seasons. If you'd like to check out my experience then, click here.

To me, the location of trolltunga felt inaccessible as there seemed to be no direct, clear-cut way to the area. The nearest accommodation was either in Odda or Tyssedal, which in itself was a 2-3hour drive from Bergen airport. You'd also need to catch a ferry mid-way to take your car across the waters. If your driving at a time where there is no ferry, you'd have to take a substantially longer route through Hardanger bridge. From the accommodation, it was approximately a further 30min drive to the start point in Skjeggedal.

The above point is all under the assumption that your renting a car. I've got no idea on how the buses and cab rights are like to cover the Bergen - Odda/Tyssedal - Skjeggedal route.


The hike

Started at 6am with only 1.5h of sleep, which sucked. It took me around 3½h to reach the end zone, which felt a lot longer as the hike was more demanding than I thought. Nevertheless, making it to the top is always a nice feeling to have.

 Trolltunga

Standing at the ledge


Take-away thoughts

I've actually had loads of 'first times' in this trip, making it a more heart-pumping and interesting (though traumatic at times) adventure. Here's a list of them:

- Renting, driving on the right and maintaining a car overseas (ford focus rocks btw)
- Driving in pitch-black darkness on narrow mountain roads, with little street lights
- Doing a 'big hike' with no guide.
 

Lots of things could've gone wrong here if some mishap were to occur anywhere, but thankfully nothing serious happened. Overall, the experience was a good eye-opener for me and has taught me a lot more about myself. Cheers to that!

No comments:

Post a Comment