Monday, October 8, 2018

The National Gallery, London

Founded in 1824, this monumental building is situated in Trafalgar square and houses a collection of over 2,300 paintings dating from the mid-13th century to 1900.

National Gallery

A better thing about this place was that entry was totally free. I'm not a huge advocate for art, but seeing that admission was going to cost me nothing, why not?

The interior was very fancy and reminded me of the Louvre in Paris. It had a very elaborate designed that not only looked modern, but kept historic design aspects in its interior decor.


As I walked around the place, looking at the paintings which I admittingly cannot appreciate as much as some of the people around who were more into art, I still managed to catch glimpse of a few that I thought looked 'famous' or 'familiar':

(William Shakespear, 1600-1610) - National Portrait Gallery

(Water Lily-Pond by Claude Monet, 1899)


(Sunflowers by Vincent van Gogh, 1888)

For every picture,
there's a short explanation beside them to highlight how it was painted and what elements certain elements in the drawing represents. If your really into it, you could probably get one of the museum personnel to give you a more detailed explanation. 

All in all, it was a worthwhile place to visit, regardless of whether your actually into art or not. I'd say that if you have the chance, do give it a go.

No comments:

Post a Comment