Saturday, December 29, 2018

Live EPL match - Fulham vs Huddersfield


I've never been a huge football fanatic, despite some of my friends' passion for the game (and their teams). Still, I've been really curious and wanted to personally experience how it'd feel to be in the stands of an actual game. Only one way to find out.

Not gonna lie, part of the reason for me choosing this game were that the tickets were more accessible and cheaper (I paid £65) + it was the EPL! If your going to see matches of the 'big mainstream teams', it could cost in the hundreds per person (if you could even get one). Also, Fulham was close to the area I lived, seemed pretty cool and were filled with more genuine fans that were not on some 'big name team band-wagon'.

Ticket to the game

The match was a home game for Fulham at their own stadium in Craven Cottage. Went a little earlier to pick up the ticket and get my Fulham scarf from the club store before heading into the stadium.

Fun fact: when booking your tickets online, do check out which areas are for 'home' and 'away' fans, to ensure that where your seating will give you the best experience.

Photo during pre-game warm-ups

Quickly asked someone to snap a picture of me while people were still getting seated. Definitely did not want to interrupt someone and ask for a photo during the game - you'd likely get a nice big f*ck off in the face.

 Players walking in

Kick-off

When the match started (at 3pm), almost all the seats throughout the stadium were filled. It was really easy to get acquainted with the people beside me.

View from my seat

Corner-kick

Crowd cheering

I'd like to believe that I'm not an obnoxiously loud person, but something within the crowds and people around you, brings out so much passion for your team (was supporting Fulham). Every time a goal attempt/save/tackle was made, we were all on the edge of our seats, making all sorts of noises, cusses and praises. It was truly one hell of an experience for me.

As for the game itself, Fulham weren't playing too well in the first half,  but recovered slightly in the second. The failed penalty attempt and the eventual goal in the 90th (+1) minute by Mitrovic, really made the whole experience that much crazier - I remembered getting out of my seat with everyone, screaming and whacking my clapper as hard as I could when the goal was made at the end.  You could literally hear the crowd roar.

 Final score
  
At the end, it was (unexpectedly) an amazing and pleasant experience! Perhaps this has made me want to watch more football, and if I do, I'll be rooting for Fulham (even though they aren't doing too well atm - from the league tables).

P.S. Watched some of the highlight reels and it feels nice to know that I was actually there in person! (all my life, I've only seen these matches on TV)

No comments:

Post a Comment