Sunday, December 7, 2014

My Experience at SCMS 2014

I've posted a while back in August (here) that I've signed up for the Standard Chartered Marathon 2014, and the time has finally come.
Another one of the reasons why I actually decided to do a marathon now is that I am currently in the best shape of my life! It's the perfect time to do it, otherwise when you get older, you may not get the chance to go through such an experience.

Did some prior trainings to do this and hopefully it pays off on the actual day of the run itself.


4th Dec (Collection of Race Pack)

The official collection dates are 4-6Dec, I went on the 4th to collect it. Thanks to my friend for accompanying me all the way to expo even though you had no business there, was really nice. :)


Banners at Expo

Queue-ing up for the race-pack

After collecting my race-pack and the baggage bag, had to actually weave through a whole maze of sports apparel shops + tons of future running events that are happening in 2015, offering super early bird discounts before I could get out.


Contents of the Race-pack

Included in the race-pack is your no. tag, a wrist-band where you can engrave your timing at the end of the marathon if you want, a running singlet, muscle gel, brochure(s) and a baggage bag + form if you indicated that you needed one.


7th Dec (Actual Full Marathon Day)

Was late by 3 hours. What the hell! Apparently I shut my alarm clock off without even realising it. Got my bro to drive me to ~ the 18km mark (average timing of where the ppl will be in 3h) as there was no way the starting line was still opened and I was prob DQ-ed already. Still, I thought that I would finish the other 24km, if not really waste money sia. I eventually did in ~3hours.

Anyway, gonna talk about the race itself from where I started(18km):

The feeling of running with a large pack of people really gets your adrenaline pumping, with the addition of the new running music tracks that I've added to my phone, the run feels a lot more manageable initially due to the 'high' that I get haha.

It was really heartening to see that there were many people who were 'running for a cause'. I can see this from their shirts. E.g, their shirts had prints to raise awareness for people with diseases.

As for the run itself, initially it was alright, I was jogging at a really slow pace as I knew that it would be a long run, still overtook a lot of people though.

At about the ~35km mark, I was really in quite some pain. Walked a lot from this point onwards, tried running but my calves were about to give way. It's the kind of feeling where the calve muscle tighten so much that there is this sharp excruciating pain. If I were to exert it any further by running, I would have clearly fallen flat face first (literally), due to my legs giving out.

Oh well at least I'm done with it.

Post-Race Photos:

Would really like to thank my bro for sending me back home after the run and also for getting Mc Donalds fto feast on! :D

Well-deserved treat! Hahaha


Finisher Tee & Medal:

Front-view

Back-view

I know that I didn't exactly run the full thing (24km only) since I was late, but oh well, you can hate on me if you want for taking the T-shirt. I just had to, I kinda did pay for it ya know. (fuck this sounds just like some pussy ass excuse, shit) >.>

Peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment